- OUR MISSION AND VISION
- STATEMENT OF FAITH
- HONOR CODE
- CLASSICAL CHRISTIAN EDUCATION
- HISTORY OF OA
- FACULTY AND STAFF
- CODE OF CHRISTIAN CONDUCT
- RELATIONSHIP TO THE COMMUNITY
- STATEMENT ON LIFE
- POLICY ON RELIGIOUS CHARACTER
- POLICY ON MARRIAGE, FAMILY, AND SEXUALITY
Mores ~ Veritas ~ Sapientia
Character. Truth. Wisdom.
These are the pillars of Oakdale Academy. These foundational pillars are constantly reinforced in the classroom, in performances and sporting competitions and with the partnership of our parents at home.
Our Mission Statement: The Mission of Oakdale Academy is to instill Character, Truth, and Wisdom in our students in order to prepare them for a life of service to God, family, community and country through classical Christian education.
Our school motto is “Rigor with Joy.” We encourage all students to pursue their academics in a spirit of “Rigor with Joy,” as excellence does not come easily. The reward of hard work is a deep satisfaction that comes from knowing we have done all that we can with all that we have, to the glory of the Almighty God.
Dr. Kenneth Calvert, former Headmaster at Hillsdale Academy, says:
“‘Joy’ as compared to ‘fun’ – the joy that comes with true accomplishment. To honor God with our very best efforts… This idea is found also in Aristotle’s definition of ‘happiness.’ Happiness is found in seeking excellence rather than pleasure alone.”
As an interdenominational Christian school, Oakdale Academy focuses on providing students with an outstanding liberal arts education that is culturally rich in traditional American values in a Christian environment, surrounded by Christian teachers and staff. All faculty, staff, board members and families sign our Statement of Faith.
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. He is the Creator, Sustainer, and Governor of everything that has been made.
(Genesis 1:1; Exodus 20:2-3; Isaiah 43:1, 7, 21; Revelation 4:11, and 5:9-10)
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
(Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1,14; 3:16-18; 5:17-30, 36-47; Acts 1:9-11 and 2:22-36)
- We believe in the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in those who have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. He bears witness with our Spirit that we are children of God and joint heirs to the throne of grace with Jesus Christ. He helps our weaknesses and makes intercession for us.
(Romans 8:9-11, 16-17, and 26)
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the inerrant, authoritative Word of God, and as such it is the final authoritative rule for faith, life, and standards of education.
(Psalm 119:160; John 16:13; and 2 Timothy 3:14-17)
- We believe that because of Adam’s sin, all mankind is in rebellion against God. For the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary. Salvation is by grace through faith alone and faith without works is dead.
(Romans 5:8, 12-21, 8:1-11; 2 Corinthians 5:9-10; Ephesians 2:8-9; and James 2:18-26)
Oakdale Academy Honor Code
Oakdale Academy Students
Out of the desire to honor God, my family, my teachers, and Oakdale Academy, I endeavor to be honorable in character, honest in word and deed, and respectful to others. In humility and with integrity, I resolve to pursue a life of service to God, family, community, and country.
I commit to diligent study, patient reflection, and respect to all placed in authority over me. Together with fellow students, I am a steward of Oakdale Academy and commit myself to the pursuit of Truth, the love of the Good, and the cultivation of Beauty as I embrace the high calling of a liberal arts education.
Oakdale Academy Faculty and Staff
In answering God’s call to serve with honor at Oakdale Academy, I lead all students with integrity and intellectual honesty, and I endeavor to prepare them for a life of service to God, family, community, and country.
As one appointed to lead and guide, I demonstrate in my instruction and in virtuous living the love of the Good, the pursuit of Truth, and the cultivation of Beauty as essential foundations of the high calling of a liberal arts education.
Oakdale Academy Parents and Families
As a partner with Oakdale Academy, I strive honorably to support those who work in the lives of my children as we mutually seek to develop in them a life marked by virtue and dedication to the Lord.
United with Oakdale Academy, I steadfastly guide, mentor, and encourage my children in the pursuit of Truth, the love of the Good, the cultivation of Beauty, and the high calling of a liberal arts education so my family is prepared to serve God, family, community, and country.
A group of parents visited Hillsdale Academy in Hillsdale, Michigan in May 2011 and came away with a vision for bringing that same model of academic excellence and solid foundation of classical education back to the metro Detroit area. They learned about the curriculum and saw firsthand why the Hillsdale Academy model was so successful in producing graduates that were intelligent, articulate, well-read and of great character.
When the group reconvened on June 11, 2011, they were called to carry out God’s plan to bring Oakdale Academy to Waterford. All eight families voted unanimously to dedicate the time and resources to open Oakdale Academy in September 2011.
United in purpose, and through many challenges, God continued to show His faithfulness by providing a beautiful facility that we are purchasing, an incredible staff and students eager to learn and make new friends. The doors of Oakdale Academy opened on September 7, 2011, with offerings from Kindergarten through Grade 10. Each year thereafter brought grades 11 and 12 and, in 2013, a Junior Kindergarten program was added. Oakdale Academy presented its first graduating class in 2014.
God remains faithful as we continue to seek His will in this incredible undertaking. To Him be the glory!
Did you know that when you refer a new family to Oakdale Academy, you can receive a $1,000 tuition credit after the new family completes their first semester at Oakdale? Thank you for telling your friends and family about our amazing school!
Grounded in our Statement of Faith, Oakdale Academy holds to Christian values and establishes parameters for acceptable behavior of its employees and volunteers.
Pursuant to our firm conviction and belief, all employees and volunteers are to conduct themselves accordingly with regard to their biological sex and all employees and volunteers shall:
- Dress in conformance with one’s biological sex;
- Use the restrooms, locker rooms, and changing facilities conforming to one’s biological sex;
- Abstain from all intimate sexual conduct outside the marital union of one man and one woman.
- Be in agreement and affirm Oakdale Academy’s Policy on Marriage, Family, and Sexuality as biblically sound.
Additionally, employees and volunteers shall refrain from the following practices as deemed antithetical to the Christian walk and faith:
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Gambling in excess
- Use of coarse and immoral language
Employees and volunteers should conduct themselves with a sense of respect for the authority of the school, vested in the Board and the Headmaster (and any other officials acting under their authority).
Failing to comply with these standards or others not listed but deemed to be antithetical to the Christian faith will subject the volunteer to removal and any employee(s) to potential disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.
The Mission of Oakdale Academy is one where we do not shy from our Christian faith, sincerely held religious beliefs, and values rooted in the Bible as God’s Word and delineated in our Statement of Faith. We wish to communicate to our community and the outside world in our speech and conduct, our religious nature. We are proud Members of the Association of Classical Christian Schools (ACCS).
We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life. (Psalm 139.)
As a Christian school, Oakdale Academy freely highlights the religious and faithful character of all we do, as embodied in our Statement of Faith and Mission Statement.
This religious character is highlighted, but not limited to, the following practices:
- Regular prayer, including Bible studies and worship in the regular activities of the school;
- The conducting of and participation in special activities that include prayer, Bible studies, and worship both on the school campus as well as away from campus.
- The promotion of Oakdale Academy is a non-denominational entity bound by our Statement of Faith.
- The display of religious artwork and decorations are encouraged on campus that comply with the Statement of Faith, good taste, and decorum.
- The promotion of our religious character is promoted and highlighted through our teaching, policies, websites, brochures, logos, crest, tagline, social media, and other electronic and non-electronic means.
In order to preserve the function and integrity of Oakdale Academy as a Christian community, and to provide a biblical role model to Oakdale students and the broader community, it is imperative that all board members, employees, and volunteers of Oakdale Academy affirm and comply with this Policy on Marriage, Family, and Sexuality.
This Policy is in accordance with our Statement of Faith and Mission Statement and outlines certain fundamental elements of Christian faith and practice.
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male and female (Gen. 1:26-27). These two distinct, complementary biological sexes together reflect the image and nature of God. Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God in that person.
- All students, staff, and volunteers of/at Oakdale Academy will be addressed and treated in accordance with their biological sex. Likewise, all employees, volunteers, and students will be expected to dress and act in accordance with their biological sex (Gen. 5:1). All employees, volunteers, and students are seen as being uniquely created to bear the image of God and to Glorify Him (II Cor. 3:18).
- We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture (Gen. 2: 18-25). We believe that God intends that sexual intimacy only occur between a man and a woman who are married to each other (I Cor. 6:18, 7:2-5, Heb 13:4).
- We believe that any other form of sexual behavior outside that which is specifically delineated herein is immoral, sinful, and offensive to God (I Thes. 4:3-5, I Cor. 6:13).
- We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and repent from their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21, Rom. 10-9-10, I Cor. 6:9-11).
- We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31, Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture or the policies of Oakdale Academy.